Saturday, October 22, 2011

Decadent Consumer vs. The Christian

You should read this article first: http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life/career-money/blog/27112-the-myth-of-financial-freedom

I have some concern over the line that reads, "This practice undoubtedly adds frustration and a good deal more self-analysis into day-to-day activities. Honestly, we chafe at being so constantly under the microscope – until we remember who looks through that microscope and why." I believe that the author had very good intentions writing this article, and that he probably has experienced a change in his life regarding how much he spends on superfluous items (which it sounds like he needed), but I have some thoughts:

1) "Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver." - 2 Corinthians 9:7 (ESV)

Don't get me wrong, there's LOTS of scriptures about avoiding greed and the worthlessness of materialism (Ecclesiastes 2:1-10 is a great example of what the evil that happens when materialism reigns, and 5:13 talks about how hoarding money hurts the hoarder), so there is no doubt that, as Christians, we are not to be materialistic or greedy.

However, if you find yourself "chafing" or anxious because you have to scrutinize every purchase to see if it's doing good for God's Kingdom, 2 Corinthians says God's not pleased with that, either. There is a lesson to be learned in giving, and it's this: Joyful surrender of the things the world tells us we need to be secure, so we can fall in the arms of the One who we trust to truly bring us security.

2) Consumerism, handled with wisdom and guidance, isn't always a dirty word. Sometimes earthly possessions really can bring us great joy and happiness, and I see nothing wrong with this. When I was a little girl, I saw a stuffed animal Simba (from The Lion King) toy that I REALLY wanted. I begged my parents, and did chores to "earn" him. I still remember the excitement and happiness I felt when my parents finally bought him for me, and I cherished that toy for years.

As a young adult who is about to graduate and start earning money for herself, I'm trying to decide now how I'm going to use my financial resources, and how I'm going to earn money. Am I going to allow myself to be rich? Do I need to devote my time and skills to full-time ministry? If I become rich, do I need to give more than 10% for my tithes? Should I be giving more than 10% even when I'm not rich? Am I allowed to spend money on something that's just fun?

It'll probably take much trial and error to get this right (hopefully I won't go too far off the deep end before I correct myself), but I think I've decided I am going to allow myself the purchases of things that I've been wanting for a long time, even if they don't do the Kingdom any good, per se. Another example: I've wanted a '59 Dodge pickup since I was a little girl, and I still want one. If I see one that's reasonably priced and I have the financial means for it, I'll probably allow myself to buy it, because it wouldn't be an impulsive buy--I've wanted one for over a decade.

Will I actually do that? Probably not. But I'm giving myself permission to do so, provided the time is right, I have the money, and God isn't calling me to give it elsewhere. His purposes are always going to be foremost, but I just don't think He minds if we have a little fun here and there (as long as we're careful :).

If I ever start to believe that "things" will buy me happiness, then I've for sure gone off the deep end. But sometimes "things" really can make you happy, although there's a common thread between every "thing" I own that I really enjoy: They were not impulsive buys. I thought long and hard before the money was plunked down for them, and decided they were worth having for whatever reason.

My current "happy thing" is my iPad. I'm falling more and more in love with it the more I use it :). Is it the source of all my happiness? Oh heck no. But is it fun to be able to watch Netflix in bed while I'm battling a cold, and have a handy note card maker for classes with Evernote? Absolutely!

Anxious giving and rampant consumerism breed the same thing: Misery. In both cases, you're not trusting God, so you're miserable. When you give, you should push yourself to give however much the Holy Spirit has asked of you. This helps you grow your faith as you see how the whole world didn't fall apart when you trusted God and gave, and your joy and peace increase. When you buy, you should ask yourself if you really want what you're buying, or is it just an impulsive buy. Submit your expenses to God's authority, but beware if you start anguishing over whether God would approve of your buying a $1.50 drink because it "doesn't further His Kingdom" (unless He has called you to that, obviously).

It's tricky to write something like this, because there are so many different ways this could be taken and applied, but just remember: In all things, ask God, and follow His direction. Seek the counsel of Godly friends who will pray with you if you're not sure what that direction is. And in general, remember that moderation is key to darn near everything :).

No comments:

Post a Comment